Session info for teachers
My presentations are about: books and pictures, the role of the author, and editor and illustrator of course. But it is especially about making things up by DRAWING!
Every session is a bit different, but the following format, with variations, works from Junior Primary through to early High School. For Preps and Grade Ones it is more about drawing for fun, but still with lots of pointers!
For further details, terms and arrangements for a visit anywhere in Australia, please contact:
BOOKED OUT Speakers Agency: www.bookedout.com.au
LATERAL LEARNING Speakers Agency: www.laterallearning.com.au
CAROLE CARROLL Literary Agent (SA): www.literaryaustralia.com
- The presentation starts with a quick sketched rough to introduce some of the basics of the illustrator's toolkit. (These large free-wheeling drawings remain at the school).
- Then the focus shifts to a pre-prepared series of drawings loosely based on the book Doctor Frankenstein's Other Monster. These methodically describe: approach and style, character development, basic anatomy, viewpoint, movement and expression - particularly body language. And much more besides.
- It is desirable for the students, within the session, to do a drawing exercise to put some of these pointers into practice.
- (Minimum requirements for this is a greylead pencil, A4 sheet of paper and something to rest it on. An eraser is useful but not essential).
- Teachers' Notes are available here
- A different approach is for the students to have prepared a short story, then I can rough it out. Talking through the choices. (Some prior preparation is desirable).
- The details about sessions can be discussed beforehand. I’m very happy to talk around longer session formats and variations, including workshops.